Gossip » Giuliana Rancic to Undergo Double Mastectomy

Giuliana Rancic, who announced she was battling breast cancer in October, has decided to undergo a double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction, she says.

In typical fashion, not even such a deep personal struggle stops her from turning it into a positive message that she's ready and willing to go public with.

First and foremost is the desire to educate: "I would like to take the stigma away. 'Mastectomy' the word seemed so scary to me at first," she says.

Giuliana Rancic to Undergo Double Mastectomy
Giuliana Rancic and Bill Rancic

"After doing research and seeing the advancements, the surgery has come a long way from 20 years ago. The results can be incredible," adds the E! host.

"Not only can it save your life, but you can come out feeling healthier and with a positive self-image. Second, I want to encourage everyone to be proactive."

There's another, more personal reason still.

"When I went public with my breast cancer diagnosis six weeks ago, the overwhelming outpouring of love, prayers and support really helped me heal faster."

"I want to make sure to thank everyone and give them an update for being so kind and loving and supportive," says Rancic, who also praises her doctors.

Her team of experts, "including top doctors, radiologists, women who had mastectomies and women who've opted for alternative treatments, like lumpectomies, radiation and anti-estrogen therapy," encouraged her to get the surgery.

"It was not an easy decision but it was the best decision for me." she says.

Appearing by her side every step of the way will be husband Bill Rancic.

"Bill's been incredible," says Giuliana. "One of my first thoughts when I considered the mastectomy was, 'What am I going to look like? What will my husband think?'

"But Bill told me, 'I don't care about the physical results. I just want you around for another 50 years. I need you healthy. I need you as my wife, as a mother to our kids.'"

They both found keepers in the spouse department, that's for sure.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...